Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Step Out: Walk to Stop Diabetes

On Saturday June 4th I will be participating in Step Out: Walk to Stop Diabetes in Lexington Kentucky. 



I was diagnosed last year with Type 2 diabetes. I had been pre-diabetic for years, but did not do anything about it. In January my A1c was still abnormal. I decided at that time I was going to get serious with controlling my blood sugar. I went to the ADA's website for reliable information. In 3 months I was able to lower my A1c and have my medication cut in half. I hope by July I can be off one of my medications. I am Stepping Out to help give back to the ADA. 

I am also excited since this is my first walk since I started my journey to live healthier. I hope to be able to participate in others in the future. I love reading about other walks from bloggers.  The recaps I have read have been very inspiring. Saturday I will be walking with others from my work which will be nice. I think I am going to go for the 2.5 mile walk.

2 comments:

  1. Have fun on the walk! I did a few walks last fall and they're so much fun - especially when it's for a great cause like this. So much positive energy all around. I would love to do a walk/run for diabetes, my dad has type 2 so it's very close to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @oh_mgCheck out the main site for Step Out and search by your zip code. They have them all over the states at different times.

    I also like that they are going to have a health fair and other things at the walk.

    ReplyDelete