Monday, July 25, 2011

FMM= Friend Making Monday

Kenlie over at All the Weigh has a regular feature called Friend Making Monday and I am alittle late participating today.

From her post: "If you’ve taken part in FMM then you know the rules. If you’re new, please take a moment to answer this week’s question on your own blog then add your link in the comments section here at: www.alltheweigh.com so we can all see your FMM questions and answers. Please invite your blog readers to add their links here too so everyone has to opportunity to be seen. The idea is to connect with other awesome bloggers so take a moment to post your own FMM post and comment on a couple of other posts. Now it’s time for this week’s topic!"


FMM: Defining Moments
Was there a defining moment in which you realized that you needed to lose weight?  If so, will you elaborate? (If you experienced this moment in some other area of your life, please feel free to share that too!) 
 

 My first 'wake up call' was in September of 2010 when at my doctor's office the scale registered 339. I had always said in my head that I never wanted to be over 300. Here I was now at 339 and I could not register on my Wii or on my scale at home.  I started losing some then but not monitoring my blood sugar as I should. In January my A1c was 7.4 and my doctor increased my diabetes medications. At that point I had lost about 10 lbs but my numbers were still bad. On January 15th 2011 I started to keep a food diary and I joined the Y at the beginning of February. So my defining moment was not wanting to be on my medications and go down the road to having to take insulin shots. I want to keep that as far away as I can. To do that I have to be in better shape and take better care of myself. That means exercise and eating better. 6 months later I am still making strides and actually enjoying exercise!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Denise, I found your blog over at FMM. Thanks for sharing your story! I hope that your numbers are improving along with your health!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A medical scare can do that to you - good luck with your weight loss, and on staying off the medication!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @JillianMy numbers have vastly improved. In 6 months I was able to stop 1 medication and 2 others had the dose cut in half.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @KrisThank you. I also saw what happened to my grandmother and now my mom with diabetes. I need to make sure I do all I can.

    ReplyDelete